Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Had beautiful weather on Sunday for my long run. It was in the mid 40's and sunny. Also happened to catch the tail end of a 10 mile race in Prospect Park, so I was running my first few miles along w/the racers.....and being cheered on. Definitely made the run go faster. Ran for about 1 hr 25, got in a solid 9 miles. Sooo ready to stop by the end.

Tuesday's evening run was met w/pouring rain. Despite strongly considering not going, I didn't want to let a little water stop me. Workout was the same mile repeat workout from a few weeks ago. 1 mile at hard pace + 3 minute recovery x 4. I improved my mile pace by a whopping 45 seconds from the last time I did the same workout. Very pleased with that. However, by the 3rd mile, it was impossible to ignore how squishy, swashy and water-logged my socks and shoes had become (not to mention the torrent of water on my face). At my final mile, I noticed a curious white something on the knees of my leggings. I was trying to concentrate on reaching the finish and focusing on my form, but what was this bizarre white on my kneecaps? Why does it seem to be growing??? Is it the sheen of the water on my running pants? No....it's remnant laundry detergent sudding like crazy in the rain! Either that or my knees have gone rabid......

I brushed my knees clean and began the cool-down jog back to Columbus Circle, donned a dry sweatshirt, and made a B-line for the subway. Got home in a reasonable 45 minutes, but am pretty sure I scared at least 1 small child on the subway. Despite my winter jacket, I was unquestionably soaked from head to toe and squishing as I walked. Oh, and it was 36 degrees out. I temporarily forgot how sopping wet I was, tried to snag a seat, quickly remembered my soppy state, and promptly stood up only to leave a large wet mess on the seat! Woops. At the very least I got a few concerned glances from other subway riders. But no worries, I'm alive and pneumonia(/ rabies) free.


1 comment:

  1. One week and counting the raindrops!! Hopefully it will clear up and you'll have cool air and sunny skies next Sunday! We'll be there to cheer you on!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete